Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Prayer of the Day

Dear Lord, even when you wanted to be alone with your friends, a large crowd kept following you to hear your word and to feel your healing touch. Moved by their need for a shepherd, you taught them and cured their sick. And when evening came and you noticed their weariness and hunger, you made them sit down on the grass and gave them an abundance of bread and fish so that they would be strong enough to return home safely.

What strikes me, Lord, is that those who follow you without worrying about food and rest receive all they need. Your response to the tempting devil, "Man does not live by bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God," comes back to mind in this event at the lakeside. Those who hunger for your word also receive enough to eat. You indeed care for those who have taken the risk to follow you to lonely places.

O Lord, never let my desire for food or shelter take preference over my desire to hear your word and be healed by your touch. I want to follow you, and trust that you will indeed give me what I need when I need it.

Deepen and strengthen my trust.

Amen


Henri Nouwen
Prayers from the Genese

1 comment: