Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Christian Marriage

“It is the statement about marriage that is repeated four times in the Bible. The Bible does not speak very often about marriage. Therefore it is the more striking that this statement appears four times in very decisive places. First, it sums up the story of creation in the second chapter of Genesis. Then, Jesus quotes this statement in Matthew 19:5 and Mark 10:7, after He is asked about divorce. Finally the apostle Paul relates directly to Jesus in Ephesians 5:31”

Genesis 2:24
GE 2:24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

“This verse has three parts. It mentions three things which are essential to marriage: to leave, to cleave, and to become one flesh.”

8 comments:

  1. I like this book and Walter Trobisch. He is insightful and quite different from most authors who write on marriage

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi paul,

    I like his down to earth teaching too. Have you met him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Met him? No. Is he still alive?

    What I meant was that I liked the way he writes. Not just this particular book

    I discovered his books long ago at PUSTAKA SUFES. Old stuff being sold off for a couple of rinngit amd was intrigued to see that he was a missionary to Africa and so he writes from a unique perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi paul,

    met him once longer ago. No, I do not know if he is still alive. I still look to this book as one of the best in teaching about a marriage that is Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ... this is a very old book and it is certainly nostalgic for me to see it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi pearlie,

    old but still the best in concept and execution

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't realise that this book's so old. I read the latest edition; thought it was new-ish as it has this really neat blue-green cover (image here :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi enilit,

    I am glad to know that they are keeping the book in print.

    ReplyDelete