Monday, October 8, 2007

The Impossible Dream

Watching the song, The Impossible Dream being sung on YouTube on Kansas Bob's blog brought back strong memories of how idealistic I was when I was young. I was a sucker for lost causes and will sally forth to fight windmills. I actually thought I could beat them. I wonder where is that young man now.

I never had the opportunity to watch Man of La Mancha (Don Quixote) on Broadway in 1968. I first heard the song sung by a very young Peter O'Toole in the movie of the same name.



"I come in a world of iron to make it a world of gold"

"The Impossible Dream"
from MAN OF LA MANCHA (1972)
music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion


To dream the impossible dream

To fight the unbeatable foe

To bear with unbearable sorrow

To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong

To love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are too weary

To reach the unreachable star


This is my quest

To follow that star

No matter how hopeless

No matter how far


To fight for the right

Without question or pause

To be willing to march into Hell

For a heavenly cause


And I know if I'll only be true

To this glorious quest

That my heart will lie peaceful and calm

When I'm laid to my rest


And the world will be better for this

That one man, scorned and covered with scars

Still strove with his last ounce of courage

To reach the unreachable star

.

No comments:

Post a Comment