Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars Novel

If you are like me and find my previous post hard to read with its 'chim' philosophy and theology, try this book by Keith R. A. DeCandido (who also write Star Trek novels).

This is a military science fiction novel set during the time of the computer game, Command & Conquer : The Tiberium Wars, so many elements of the game appears in the novel. It was 2047 and the surface of the earth was partially poisoned by Tiberium. The world was at world between the Global Defense Initiatve (GDI), the good guys and the Brotherhood of Nod, a superpower terrorist organisation.

The novel is about the military campaigns of GDI's 22nd Infantry Division against the Nods and later an alien invasion.

Come to think of it, it shows the fallen-ness of the mankind and the world without invoking Derrida, Foucault, Nietzsche, Marx, Moses, Augustine, Freud, Heidegger, and Wittgenstein. I believe this novel is another translated version of the Fall.

For my comments on the computer game , Command & Conquer: Tiberium Wars read here.

To know the Seven lessons I learnt while playing the game, read here

.

8 comments:

  1. Got lost in both - its the end of the day. Brain power all used up - but then again being a 101% night person, it should charge up in no time - so will try again and see if it is still a forest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the WARCRAFT world over the STARCRAFT AND C&C worlds ... and nowadays (actually for a long time now)if I have the time, I prefer turn based games ... less stressful on my brain, eyes and wrist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi pearlie, hope you have recharged your battery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Paul,

    I have not explored the world of Warcraft and Starcraft yet. Maybe I shall do it. When my children were younger, I did not allow them to play warcraft because of the creatures etc. Since then, it sort of slipped below my radar.

    What turn based games are you playing now? Chess?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys play DOTA alot with their friends (online version of Starcraft)


    I find most of these games "addictive time suckers" so i do not play them as I do not have the time :-) and :-(
    Avoid them like the plague!!! :-)


    I play Football Manager - which is strangely a game I can actually multi-task ... I can actually do some light work while playing if I wanted to (yes, I know this actually defeats one of the reasons for playing but I am a strange person ... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex,
    Yesterday night I knocked out by 10pm, after choir practice, but now at 2:15am I am still going strong - but it is a forest here ... hehe ... I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh? I didn't know there was a novel. This sure brings a lot of nostalgic moments.

    I've played Red Alert 2 umpteenth times and lately, C&C : Generals - finishing all 3 campaigns in brutal mode.

    I like especially the multiplayer mode because you have to be johnny-be-quick and utilize your resources in such a way to affect the outcome of the game. Oh dear, I'm ranting on and on.

    Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi eugene,

    C&C:Tiberium Wars is a totally new game so you don't have to replay Red Alert and Generals again. I am sure you will enjoy this game.

    The novel is quite good too.

    ReplyDelete