Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflection on Certificate of Spirituality Studies

Certificate of Spirituality Studies
Institute for Pastoral Ministries
St. Thomas University, Miami, Florida, USA


A few years ago, I enrolled and studied in an online course, The Certificate of Spirituality Studies organised by the Institute of Pastoral Ministries, St. Thomas University, Miami, Florida in the United States of America. This course is a major stop station and has a powerful impact in my spiritual journey and quest. Its core courses are Spirituality of New Testament and Early Church Fathers; Monks, Mendicant, Mystics; Spanish Mystics and Modern Spirituality; and Contemporary Spirituality. The content of the course opened my eyes to the vast and rich heritage of spiritual theology, historical spiritualities, and Christian mysticism. I am still unpacking the lessons I have learned since.

This course is online which meant that I can do it at home in Malaysia at my own pace. However, it also put me in contact with other students who are from different parts of the world. This interaction between students from different traditions and countries are truly ecumenical and has opened my eyes to the diverse ways God is working through His people. As an Evangelical Reformed layman, I developed an appreciation of the richness of Roman Catholicism and its mystical tradition.


Aside from the content, interactions and digital pedagogy, this online course will not have such a great impact without Dr. Helen Rosenthal who is the course facilitator. She is a modern mystic whose teachings are a reflection of her vast store of knowledge. Her comments and encouragement are great blessings to the students. Even now, she acts as a spiritual director and mentor to me. I have completed the course a few years ago. However the course still resonates in my soul and my interactions with my course mates and Helen still continues (online, of course!).

Strongly recommended for those who are interested in Christian spirituality.

More about the course here




.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    I tried to find out what are the tuition fees for the course, but could not find the info online - maybe I missed it. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alex,
    Your page is wonderful. I do not know how to answer as nothing happened when I clicked on the comment. Each course is $300 and there is a $30 fee for the first time you register for the Online Program in Spirituality Studies. It would be so good to have more international students.

    Love and prayer, Helen

    Dr. Helen Rosenthal, RSCJ
    Coordinator of Spirituality Studies
    School of Theology and Ministry
    St. Thomas University
    Miami Gardens FL 33054

    ReplyDelete