Thursday, April 10, 2008

How Much Do Medical Tutors Make?


thanks to my friend, Punna who wrote this

The doctors were sitting around the dining table discussing life after the usual CME talk.

One doctor, a very successful private Consultant, decided to explore the problem of the poor pay of teachers. He reasoned,"Firstly, how much can one MAKE as a teacher? You need to do procedures, interventions, etc to be financially successful. How much can one make as a doctor teaching medical students?"

To stress his point he said to another diner;"You're teaching, ...... Be honest. What do you make from teaching?"

silence......

The medical school tutor answered "You really want to know what I make? Well, I make young minds work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make restless young boys and girls go through 120 minutes of discussion on diagnosis and patient care.

I make them amazed at the beautiful art of diagnosis.

I make them question every decision they make.

I make them realise that every illness has a Real human face behind it; they are patients NOT cases.

I make them have respect and responsibility for their actions.I teach them to think like a doctor and then I make them feel that all of them can be great doctors if only they want to badly enough.

I make them read, read, read the science of medicine.I make students feel proud to wear a white coat and to be in the lineage of a great and noble profession.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can all succeed in life, for success is NOT necessarily measured in dollars and cents, but definitely in how much we can help our fellow men."

"Then, when people enquire what I make, I can hold my head up high ... You still want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Now what do you make?"

picture source

No comments:

Post a Comment